No cursor in Ubuntu linux 11.10

I've had this weird problem lately on Ubuntu 11.10 (64 bit) - I only seem to have a cursor in some windows and never in any of the system windows (desktop, unity bar etc). Well today it was winding me up so I decided to try and fix it

A quick google got me this page: No Cursor in Ubuntu 11.04 with a Legacy Nvidia Card. Not the right version of Ubuntu I know, and I have no idea what video card I have either, as the system info shows it as 'unknown'. But I figured I'd try it anyway

Steps from that page:
1. Open a terminal window 2.
Stop the x server: sudo service gdm stop
3 Uninstall the nouveau driver: sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
4. Reboot the machine

When I got the step 2 though, it said the gdm service wasn't found, so I just did step 3. This unfortunately stopped the cursor moving at all! So I reinstalled the nouveau driver, and now it works! Now idea why!

So for anyone who needs this, my steps were:

1. Open a terminal window
2 Uninstall the nouveau driver: sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
3. Reinstall the nouveau driver: sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

And all was well with the world again :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch a website as a mobile app using PhoneGap/Apache Cordova

Installing and using mobilize.js to transform a desktop site to a mobile site

How to manually add Cordova plugins to your app